Sunday 17 August 2014

West of Hell-Spiral Empire Reversed Records


Published: Absolute Underground Issue#46 June/July 2012

Now West of Hell is a band that has been together for a lot of years. It did take them 8 years and a move across the world to get a vocalist that fit. It seems to have worked out becaue they got Rob Shallcross to produce their album. It makes sense though because the new vocalist was Chris Valagao from Zimmers Hole.
 I started listening to the album "Spiral Empire" about a week ago and am listening to it while I still write. The vocals totally work for the type of music they're playing. If you think all metal vocals should sound like a sink backing up, this might not work for you. But if you like vocals at the forefront, powerful vocals reminicent of the traditional bands of the 80's you'll like this. Don't get me wrong, I love my deathgrind. But this album kind of makes me want to drink beer and shake my fist in the air. The kind of thing where you and a couple of friends hold your drinks in one hand, pump the other fist and try to sing along. The problem is that you can't sing that good and then on "Singularity" and "To War" you get totally distracted by the guitar solos. Actually as much as the vocals are featured in this album there is some great twin guitar work. I'm a sucker for a great riff and there are a few kicking around here. These guys all seem to be seasoned musicians and play quite well through the album.
In the end I have no distinct rating systen but I'll say 4 out of 5. Grab some beers and maybe some friends and  listen to this. It's streaming online. Crack those beers and turn it up.


Michael F. Carnage

http://www.facebook.com/WestofHell

No comments:

Post a Comment