Sunday 17 August 2014

Sister-Disguised Vultures

Published: Absolute Underground#56 February/March 2014 

SISTER is a scandinavian sleaze rock band from Stockholm putting out their first real full-length album. They had an LP out in 2011 and have been doing nothing but touring the last two years. Rumour says they put on a sick live show. I heard this band compared to a few bands I love and a few I hate so I had mixed expectations going into it.
The first song an album is usually a pretty mediocre one.  This one is decent but not too spectacular. I mean I didn't stop listening so there's that. The next track "Sick" I think is the one that getting pushed the most. I can see why, it's got a sing-a-long chorus and it's pretty catchy with good movement. The next three songs follow the same path to varying degrees. All have have solid music and a chorus that you find yourself singing along to under your breath after a few listens. #6"Slay Yourself" breaks that mold with a fast paced two minutes of punk influence...or as these guys see punk anyways.  The next song "Naked" is obviously the ballad on this album, because every one of these albums need one. They go all out on this one, it's cheesy as fuck and wicked in every way. I can totally see the singer having a solitary tear in the video I just assume they'll make for this. After that it's straight back to rock. This album ends with the "live in the studio" track called "Please Kill Me" that has cheering in the background and a lot of acoustic parts. I wouldn't want it ended any other way.
This album totally grew on me. I wasn't sure what I was gonna get out of this but it ended up having a lot to like. It has all the things a sleaze rock/hair metal album needs. It has the chant along choruses, easy guitar licks, sex, drugs and sleeze...and it's got that ballad. They may be following a blueprint but they're doing it right. It's what could have happened if a young Guns N Roses had done crack and speed instead of so much heroin. But seriously check out the ballad, you'll get a smile out of it.


Michael F. Carnage

http://www.sisterofficial.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment