Sunday 17 August 2014

Absu/Auroch live review

I'm never really into riding the ferry when I'm hung as fuck. But then I realize that I really like ferry rides besides the shitty breakfast. After that was over I was off to get a home-cooked meal before i started to pre-game and find friends. I was trying to meet up with the boys in XUL but their soundcheck kept getting moved back. I aliviated this problem by approaching strangers with tales of drinking contests to take the afternoon and early evening away. I showed up on time to get a beer and find a spot to watch the bands. XUL was up first with a lot of energy playing songs of their debut album "Malignance". They loudly proclaimed several times that they came from Vernon and looked like they were having a really good time, the crowd was too. Next up was a band I was totally unfamiliar with called TERRIFIER. It didn't even take two songs to make me like these guys. It felt like I was watching Slayer in 1985, there was a tonne of fast riffs, hair-tossing and screams. I was totally into it, then again it was about this time that I discovered the $4 shots of fireball. This of course meant that everyone had to have a shot with me. AUROCH was up after and I think this was their first show as a four-peice. To be honest I'm not sure I like them with four members but that's probably not fair to say until they've done more shows. To me the sound wasn't sounding quite right either. I moved around the venue and it was still the same thing.  Sadly the sound issues were the same for ABSU as well. I was really excited to see them but had trouble hearing all the instruments at once. Because of this I had trouble recognizing the songs. I don't think I was the only one either because about half the crowd wasn't really paying attention at this point. Kind of sucks but at the least the turnout was decent. In the end there was good bands, a decent venue but kind of a mediocre show. I did end up having a good time though and hopefully will see all the bands again at some point in the future.

Michael F Carnage

No comments:

Post a Comment