Sunday 17 August 2014

Chosen-Resolution

Published: Absolute Underground #51 April/May 2013

Chosen is a band from Ireland that has released a bunch of EPs over the last 8 years but now finally has a full-length out. They're only a two-piece but any metal fan knows that that sort of line-up can totally work out. The thing I usually like about a two-piece band is that it usually has a great groove to it. It forces the guitar and drums/percussion to work together in a way it doesn't usually in a full band.
The whole thing starts with a decent intro as usual, it lasts about a minute before the metal begins. The second song has a shorter intro followed by some clean vocals and then growling and solid riffing. The formula plays through the 3rd song with a first minure and a half of classical guitar. Maybe it's just me but I can see a lot of Meshuggah influence in this. They seem to be trying to pack as much as they can into every song here. There's a lot of the time changes in the songs. I'm not using this as a detriment at all. "Asch's Paradigm"  is full of changes and harsh then clean vocals, fast then slow rythym. It's a pretty cool song actually.
Throughout the album they have a mix of clean vocals and growling and a mix of tempos. It seems most songs mix it up and will have a blend of styles. Instead of having a fast song with harsh vocals and other slower ones with cleaner vocals they seem to make sure every song does this. It's not like it's a bad thing as each song is pretty good and these two guys have a lot of talent. I could see how people would not like this approach too much, To some people these sogs might seem a little too busy but in the end it's an album I'll listen to again. I think my best advice with this one is that you'll have to listen to it more than a few times. I haven't decided yet whether or not it's a regular release or one of those hidden gems that will just grow on you over the first week you listen to it. I guess I'm going to have to figure that out.


Michael F. Carnage

http://www.chosen.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment