Sunday 17 August 2014

Gloria Morti-Lateral Constraint

So I'll totally admit it, I don't know a fucking thing about Gloria Morti. Okay that's not true, I know it's five guys from Finland that play death metal. Besides that I had never heard of them before I was sent this album and their facebook page doesn't say shit. So I started this stuff up after drinking and started to do some research. Turns out they've been around for almost 15 years and have decided in the last 8 or so to take things serious. Lateral Constraint is the third album since they say they've learned to play.
Well they start off with straight up death metal. It's a pretty new school version of death metal but good musically. It's got the constant hi-BPM drumming keeping the pace fast and trading guitars. Vocalist Psycho doesn't have the low gutteral vocals you find on the gore side of death metal, more of the deep, raspy shout. The speed of the songs keeps up until #4"Aesthetics of Self-Hyperbole" where the lead guitar starts to wander a little throughout the middle of the song on a slow solo. #6"Hallucinations" as you would guess is a mid-pace song with more of an aural feel to it with a bit of dreamy atmosphere and groover to it. #8"Non-believer" has a lot of the same aspects with a slower tempo and wandering solos that still make your head want to nod.
Chugging riffs are all through this album and I can see how it would bring out a lot of head-banging if played loud for a crowd. The drums are fast or technical or both in every song and the vocals are always brutal. What changes in the songs is the interplay of the guitars, they change the feel and atmosphere of the songs. It seems the guitars were the one left to do all the experimentation or change on these songs and the rest of the band stuck with a formula. I feel like I've heard this drum/vocal combo a lot before. I wouldn't complain if someone else put this on at a party or something but I don't think it would be a the top of my metal pile. But hey, that's just me, just another guy with an opinion.

Michael F. Carnage

http://www.gloriamorti.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment