Sunday 17 August 2014

TYR-Valkyrja Metal Blade Records

Published: Absolute Underground #54 October/November 2013

TYR is everyone's favorite faroese metal band. This is their 7th album of folkish, powerish, sort-of viking metal or whatever it is that they do. This one is a theme album of women and what all men are willing to do for them. It follows in the tradition of all their album being based on their local folklore. The first thing I noticed was the change in drumming from other TYR albums. George Kollias from Nile and Nightfall is the new drummer, explains all the difference.
"Blood of Heroes" gets it off to a perfect start with epic leads and a chant-along type of chorus that makes you want to pump your fist if you're drinking. It all starts the viking quest to battle. The battle to impress the gods...or women I guess. "They lay of our love" is a solid duet, I really don't say that very often. I don't generally like the whole guy/girl sing together thing but this one works. Afterwards it's battlesongs of a little awesomeness especially "Grindavisan" which is what all viking metal songs should be like. "Fanar Burtur Brandaljod" is back to the folkyness of a lot of the past albums. Afterwards its back to songs of metal and wickedness. "Lady of the slain" fucking slays if you can pardon the pun. Wait, is that a pun? I'm not that sure.
This is a great pile of metal and I was really into it. I mean I'm drinking but i don't see why I wont like it when I sober up. There is a great story of folklore throughout all the songs and the continuity is solid. I'm going to listen to this a bunch more times. And as an added surprise they have two covers at then end that are a little weird. I won't tell you what they are but I will say someone and Pantera.


Michael F. Carnage

http://www.tyr.fo/

No comments:

Post a Comment