Sunday 17 August 2014

King of Asgard-To North Metal Blade Records

Published: Absolute Underground Issue #47 August/September 2012

Upon first listen all I could think was that I was really liking this. It has a lot of really galloping riffs that make your head move.Solid sorytelling vocals with some good chant along choruses. Has you thinking of northern forests and viking warriors. The folky blackness mixed in with the norse legends make this a really easy and enjoyable listen. Just four swedes passing on stories of the oldtimes along with some pretty decent guitars.
It's only their second album and I'm already hoping for a third. I hate to gush this much but this is want to hear from a band of this genre. These guys have obviosly listened to an Ophthalamia album a few times over. Wait, that's a pretty vague reference but if you get it you will like this album for sure. And then after you listen to it you need to check out some Ophthalamia. The one song that I think is the best example of the album is "Nordvegr". "Up on the mountain" would be a close second if only just because it has the best main riff. Check out those two songs and if you like them you'll likely love this whole album. In my totally made up rating system I'll give this one 5 hammers held high.

Michael Carnage

http://www.kingofasgard.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment