Saturday 18 October 2014

Fallujah/Archspire Oct 12 Victoria BC

I was really excited to get a ticket for this show after hearing the rumours of it selling out, but thanks to Cavity Curiosity Shop I got me and a friend in. But due to my own bad time management I showed up five minutes before the opening band finished. They were called Tenchu and all I got out of them was a few pig squeals, which I like so I'll have to catch them again.
Archspire then started a long soundcheck while I bought some wicked T-shirts. When they got started they hit the stage running, no warm-up at all just straight Tech and Death. A few songs in they started having a few sound issues which is weird because I think they brought their own guy with them. It seemed to be fixed by the end of "Seven crowns and the oblivion chain". The band pushed through and started killing it again. You can tell this band practices a lot, there's so much tech but also a little bit of groove. They were totally back in shape by the time they hit "Lucid collective somnambulation". Most of the crowd seemed to recognize this song and got really into it, it was nice to see a good crowd at Logans really reacting to a band. All their shirts say "stay tech" and that's just what they did.
Fallujah is from San Francisco and I'm pretty sure they have never been on the Island before. I'm glad I got the chance to see them again. They started their set much in the same way, diving right into the show fast and hard. "Cerebral hybridization" was a great example of them being on tour and just playing as a well rehearsed machine. Through progginess mixed with brutality they got the crowd into every one of their songs. I'm sure everybody who showed up unaware of who the band was left being a fan. By the time they hit "Dead sea" everyone was holding up lighters and horns up for the guitar solo, I don't blame them either because that solo really pushes a lot of the barriers of death metal.
It was a sunday night so the bar had to be done by midnight, this was partly the reason I think the show went by so fast. Probably had something to do with the killer bands as well. All had a good time turning their turkey comas into booze comas. For Logans it was good to see a decent crowd come out on a sunday night and I hope this helps more bands make the trip to the island. I want to finally catch Tenchu and the other two bands should know they did a wicked show.


Michael F. Carnage


http://www.youtube.com/Archspiremetal

http://www.facebook.com/fallujahofficial

No comments:

Post a Comment